As a participant in Project 10, and the 30 Day Paleo Shift, I am always looking for healthy versions of my regular recipes. As my love affair with almonds continues to grow, I’ve decided to substitute them in place of cheese in some of my recipes. I know, there is zero connection between almonds and cheese except for the sprinkle on top factor, but that along with adding a yummy nutty taste is enough to make me try anything! I made these stuffed peppers recently and it was a huge hit with my kids and husband. It’s quick and easy to make, and tastes delicious!
- 16 oz package of organic grass fed ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jar of no salt or sugar added organic tomatoe sauce
- seasoning of your choice( I used a palmful of Trader Joe’s Everyday seasoning)
- 2 organic green peppers cut in halves
- 4 or 5 fresh sweet basil leaves chopped
- palmful of unsalted almonds crushed or chopped
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Sauté the ground turkey in olive oil with spices and chopped basil until no longer pink. Add in half the jar of tomatoe sauce and simmer. While turkey is sautéing I place the peppers in a glass baking dish and microwave for 2-4 minutes until tender. Once the turkey has simmered for a few minutes fill the peppers with the turkey, remaining tomatoe sauce, and then top with crushed almonds. I used my garlic press to crush them and it worked great! Bake the dish for 15-20 minutes until the top is slightly golden and crispy. Serve and enjoy!